Patient Account Specialist IIJob Ref: 20036
Category: Clerical & Administrative Support
Department: Patient Accounts
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day shift
Reporting to the Manager of Patient Accounts, the position will be responsible for all Insurance follow-up from third party payers, to be responded to in a courteous, timely manner. Representatives will process patient accounts to third parties and resolve accounts to a zero balance. Expertise in all third party billing and contracted payment agreements. The account representative is required to have good writing skills, and ensure proper account documentation. Verbal communication required for relaying issues/concerns with problem accounts to supervisor and managers.
- HS Diploma or General Education Degree, Associates Degree preferred.
- Three to five years experience in hospital or medical office billing preferred.
- Knowledge of ICD9/HCPCS/CPT4 Coding desired.
- Basic knowledge of third party insurance plans and how they relate to inpatient and outpatient benefit structure preferred.
- Familiarity with medical terminology helpful.
- Licensure and/or Certification
- Certified Patient Accounts Technician (CPAT) desired.
- Must be able to communicate effectively when in contact with insurance carriers, third party payers, and patients.
- Must be able to understand Medicare, Medicaid, Blue Cross and Managed Care contracts.
- Must have the ability to learn and understand hospital patient accounting policies and procedures and how the Accounts Receivable computer system works.
- Must have the ability to use a computer, calculator, fax machine, copier and other office tools efficiently in order to meet performance goals.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel; and the ability to learn new programs and systems.
- Dependable in both production and attendance