Patient Account Specialist IJob Ref: 21436
Category: Revenue Cycle
Department: Patient Accounts
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day shift
The Patient Account Specialist I (PAS-I) reports to the Manager of Patient Accounts, and is responsible for all insurance follow-up from third party payers. The PAS-I will resubmit accounts to third parties and resolve accounts to a zero balance. The PAS-I must be proficient in both verbal and written communication and should possess basic knowledge in third party billing and reimbursement. He/She is responsible for following Emerson Hospital standards for proper account documentation and very good communication skills with management level for reporting issues/concerns with problem accounts. This position may be maintained until the skills and knowledge are acquired for all third party payer billing and reimbursement.
- HS Diploma or General Education Degree, Associates Degree preferred.
- One to two years experience in hospital or medical office billing preferred.
- Knowledge of ICD9/HCPCS/CPT4 Coding desired.
- Basic knowledge of third party insurance plans and how they relate to inpatient and outpatient benefit structure preferred.
- Familiarity with medical terminology helpful.
- Licensure and/or Certification
- Certified Patient Accounts Technician (CPAT) desired.
- Must be able to communicate effectively when in contact with insurance carriers, third party payers, and patients.
- Must be able to understand Medicare, Medicaid, Blue Cross and Managed Care contracts.
- Must have the ability to learn and understand hospital patient accounting policies and procedures and how the Accounts Receivable computer system works.
- Must have the ability to use a computer, calculator, fax machine, copier and other office tools efficiently in order to meet performance goals.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel; and the ability to learn new programs and systems o Dependable in both production and attendance
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate in English.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.