EHR Specialist IIJob Ref: 18102
Category: Clerical & Administrative Support
Department: Medical Records
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day shift
Reporting to the EHR Operations Manager, the EHR Specialist II files, retrieves, preps, scans and indexes medical records accurately and in a timely manner into the OnBase electronic document management system to support patient care and legal/audit processes. With attention to detail, examines pages, verifies patient identification and bar codes on each page, appropriately batches documents, accurately scans and indexes.
- Performs duties related to the receipt, prepping, scanning, indexing and destruction of health information per Emerson Hospital policy.
- Retrieves 100% of discharged encounters and previous records, when applicable, from patient units/clinics for discharge processing. Follows up on all discharged encounters not received and informs manager each day of any charts not retrieved.
- Per hospital policy and based on priority, assembles and analyzes encounters according to hospital policies and regulations. Sorts and integrates all loose and typed material to appropriate charts.
- Assigns deficiencies to the appropriate clinician and enters the data into the Meditech Incomplete Record Routine with 98% accuracy.
- Preps applicable charts for scanning to include:
- Checking every page in the medical record for misfiles accuracy of patient name, appropriate bar codes, account number and document type.
- Inspects pages for torn edges, removes staples, fan-folded sheets are perforated and pages numbered.
- Mounts sheets less than 8.5 x 11 inches and tapes down on a full size sheet. Tapes down the top of each rhythm strip or other mounted documents. Photocopies any card stock or manila documents prior to scanning.
- Arranges documentation in chronological date order, keeping like document types together. Ensures all pages are in the same proper orientation.
- Photocopies any documents that will likely result in poor image quality once scanned, adjusting the copy contrast.
- Scanned documents are verified for quality, accuracy and missed pages, prior to accepting batches.
- Poor quality images identified are rescanned or photocopied for improved image quality.
- Monitor indexing queue for unassigned images
- Identified errors on the documents are deleted from the batch and rescanned. The errors are documented on the batch cover sheet and re-routed to the Prepper for review, correction and rescanning.
- Checks that documents are filed within Meditech accurately.
- Ensures that all patient information is of the same patient, of the same account number.
- Reviews document for good quality images, accuracy of patient name, appropriate bar codes, account number and document type.
- Corrects any incorrect document types.
- Corrects wrong patient documents scanned within the record and rescans the document into the correct patient medical record and visit date.
- Makes recommendations for process improvement.
- Maintains a 1-3 day Turn-Around-Time (TAT)
- Responds appropriately for urgent requests for patient information outside of Emerson as needed.
- Sorts/files loose work accurately on a daily basis.
- Files and retrieves medical records as required.
- Retrieves, signs out, and delivers hybrid medical records as requested for patient care.
- Offsite record returns logged in upon receipt.
- Use Onbase applications and Meditech systems proficiently to perform job functions.
- Duties for which cross training has been provided are performed in co-worker’s absence.
- Answers the telephone in a professional manner and directs all calls appropriately.
- Willing to accept additional assignments from time to time.
- Maintains and supports patient’s rights to care, privacy and respect.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Associate or bachelor degree in an AHIMA approved program in Health Information Technology preferred.
Experience: One year general office experience, preferably in a medical record department or clinical setting.
Licensure and/or Certification: RHIT preferred.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and disease processes.
- Strong computer skills to include MS Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook); previous 3M Encoder and Meditech experience preferred. Extensive use of computer and office equipment including fax, copy machines, scanners.
- Technical skills to work with detailed systems, computer applications and intradepartmental units
- Knowledge of JCAHO requirements and federal and state guidelines applicable to health record completeness and patient privacy.
- Knowledge of health information systems and data management
- Knowledge of health record content and sequence.
- Strong analytical and communications skills; detailed oriented.
- Ability to use judgment in carrying out all phases of the work.
- Ability to accept constructive analysis based on feedback from inside/outside auditors, and quality improvement initiatives
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with regard to all phases of the work.
- Ability to be courteous, tactful, and cooperative throughout the working day.
- Ability to process and provide accurate paperwork.
- Ability to process work within presented deadlines and time frames.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and large amounts of data.
- Ability to work independently as well as a team player.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communications skills to ensure effective outcomes in dealing with the medical staff and other hospital employees.
- Subject to irregular hours occasionally.