Clinical Resource Nurse (Emergency Dept)Job Ref: 18318
Category: ER Nurse
Department: Emergency Department
Schedule: Part Time
Shift: Day/Eve shift
The clinical resource nurse partners with the clinical nurse manager/associate nurse manager to ensure operational readiness of the department in the provision of direct nursing care for the Emergency Department. This position has operational oversight responsibilities and participates with the nursing team in care planning and delivery, utilizing the nursing process to provide appropriate comprehensive care, in accordance with the stated philosophy and objectives of the Nursing Service Department and the Emergency Department. The clinical Resource Nurse facilitates communications between the Emergency Department in collaboration with the clinical nurse manager/director and serves as mentor and role model for staff.
• Supports staff evaluations by providing input regarding the quality of care, and alignment with policies, procedures, standards, and regulations and the mission, vision and values of Emerson Hospital and the patient care division.
• Participates in quality audits and reports as needed.
• Ensures departmental operational readiness at the beginning of each shift during charge to charge hand-offs by conducting walking rounds
• Assists with making staffing assignments in collaboration with the clinical nurse manager/associate nurse manager for the Emergency Department within the competency and capacity of each staff person
• In collaboration with the clinical nurse manager/associate nurse manager, monitors patient flow and acuity and adjusts staffing to support safe patient care and staffing efficiency
• Performs role of permanent charge RN and is proficient in the delivery of direct patient care
• Serves as a clinical resource
• Serves as the bridge between staff and patients and staff and providers when there is a patient complaint, situation and/or a challenging physician interaction.
• Collaborates with ED nurse educator to coordinate orientation process of new employees
• Establishes and maintains effective communication in all areas of responsibility
• Utilizes constructive conflict management strategies, just in time coaching and goal setting to optimize staff performance and engagement
• Supports professional growth and development of staff
• Prepares change of shift report and projects staffing needs of next shift and conducts staffing reconciliation based on acuity
• Maintains and supports patient’s rights to care, privacy and respect.
• Other duties as assigned from time to time.
• Graduate of an accredited professional nursing school required.
• Minimum two years of experience in emergency nursing with demonstrated leadership abilities required. 3 to 5 years ED experience preferred.
• Previous charge nurse experience preferred.
Licensure and/or Certification
• Current licensure to practice professional nursing in Massachusetts required.
• BLS healthcare provider required.
• PALS achieved within 6 months of hire.
• ACLS achieved within 6 months of hire if L&D, preferred.
• Certification preferred
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Basic nursing skills.
• Assessment skills.
• Critical thinking skills.
• Organizational skills.
• Computer skills.
• Ability to maintain confidential information.
• Must have the ability to read, write, and communicate in English